Monday, July 20, 2009

Talking to GOD - Prayer Changes You


Prayer is simple because it's easy to do, but it's complex because over time, you change how you do it and it has a way of changing you too. I learned a couple of things about prayer. First, prayer is talking to SOMEONE, a real person, a real conversation, and second, it requires that you make choices.
So when I first began talking to GOD (around 1981) I also made a choice to follow GOD. And the first thing I knew GOD was saying was, "You've got to change your evil ways, baby....." (I've been known to speak and write in "lyric" - you know, to have a song for everything!)
So yes, a lot of things changed right off the bat. I went back to church, got rid of old habits, started reading a Bible, and mainly thought about GOD a lot.
Early on, I was comfortable with structured prayers like the ones I had learned growing up or from a prayer book. That's what I knew best, but now, I thought about the meaning of the words, and I began to experience joy. Different than happy. Same thing happened when I sang in church. The words meant something and I felt joy. I had had glimpses of this when I was a youth, but....didn't persue it.
Over time, I desired to talk to GOD more like I would to any other person. It was awkward because I didn't really know what to say, but it felt right. Like anything else, practice makes perfect, so it got easier.
Then I started praying out loud with other people - (like after a Bible study when you're all in a circle and holding hands with your eyes closed and you really just want to open them up and watch everyone else pray). SCARY! But again, it felt right. This was all part of the "prayer changing you thing." I had a desire to do things I had not done before or I did them with a different attitude.
I think the next step for me was actually praying for someone directly. Not, "Sure I'll pray for you", or, "I've been praying for you", but "OK, let's pray about that right now." REALLY SCARY. The first time I did that was when I was talking to a lady whose child was in Kindergarten with one of mine, and she shared something really sad. I had not met her in person, but I wanted to pray for her.
I was compelled to do things. It was an irresistable urge, sometimes scary or very scary, but I did it. I chose to do it.
Yup, prayer changes you.


Luke 11:1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray.."

3 comments:

  1. Prayer is simple....well said. Thanks so much for delving into this! I hope that others benefit the way that I am from your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready for the next installment! I really need it this week. God is testing my faith....all seems to be diabetes related. What amazes me is that my daughter is the strong one in this ordeal. I can't tell you how many times I've come back to read this post on prayer. I keep reading the words...."Prayer is simple". Love you tons! -Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one Merry Ann! It's soothing...

    ReplyDelete